Mover’s Check List
We at Malone Moving & Storage as house movers realise that house moving can seem daunting – there’s so much to think about. So Malone Moving & Storage has put together a comprehensive Mover’s Checklist to help you keep track of tasks essential to a well organised and stress-free move. We are state to state movers as well as one of the residential moving companies in Lexington.
- 4-6 weeks before the move
- 2 weeks leading up to the move
- The first night in your new home
4 – 6 weeks before the move
Book a firm date for moving and arrange time off work if possible
When planning your move, consider:
- Does your new house allow access for large appliances and pieces of furniture? What level is your new house on? Is there a lift? Do you need to book the lift?
- We are Professionals and will help you plan your move without stress.
- We will assist you to have a hassle free move. For more details, see Malone Moving & Storage at www.malonemoving.com
Redirect your Mail & Change your address
- Don’t miss any of your mail, have your postal service redirect it to your new address
- Advise organisations of your change of address.
- Packing can be done by Malone Moving. However, packing companies need to plan ahead. Get rid of as much junk as possible through charity bins or garage sales.
- Start to use all the food in your freezer to prevent wasting it when you move
- Start your packing early – see Packing Tips for advice on packing
- Complete an inventory of all items packed
- Make a list of items you’ll need available for the moving day, so that you don’t pack something essential
2 weeks leading up to the move
Organise your utility accounts
- Arrange for disconnection and reconnection of electricity, gas, telephone and water –
- Don’t forget to cancel newspapers, cleaning, gardening, pet grooming and other local services
- Return things like library books and be sure you’ve picked up any dry-cleaning, shoe repairs etc
- Book professional cleaners if necessary
- If renting, arrange for carpet cleaners to come in after you have moved your furniture
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezer the day before you move
- Safety – consider all safety implications when packing and moving
Last minute and moving day hints
- Make or confirm key collection arrangements
- Pack a small box of items you’ll need for immediate use in your new home, including some toiletries, a change of clothes, medicines, toilet paper, soap and towels
- Pack another box with kitchen essentials for the move day such as a kettle, cutlery, mugs, tea, coffee and snacks
- Do a final check of all storage areas
- On moving day, get an early start
- Turn off electricity at the meter
- Check that all doors and windows are securely locked as you leave your old house
- Be sure to keep your valuables, personal effects and important papers with you, so they don’t go astray
- Unpack bedding and make up beds as soon as possible – you’ll thank yourself at the end of a tiring day.